(a) In this appendix the following words have the meanings indicated.
(b) "Federal Government" means the United States of America or any agency or instrumentality, corporate or otherwise, of the United States of America.
(c) "Slum Area" means any area where dwellings predominate which, by reason of depreciation, overcrowding, faulty arrangement or design, lack of ventilation, light or sanitary facilities, or any combination of these factors, are detrimental to the public safety, health or morals.
(d) "Blighted Area" means an area in which a majority of buildings have declined in productivity by reason of obsolescence, depreciation or other causes to an extent they no longer justify fundamental repairs and adequate maintenance.
(e) "Urban Renewal Project" means undertakings and activities of a municipality in an urban renewal area for the elimination and for the prevention of the development or spread of slums and blight, and may involve slum clearance and redevelopment in an urban renewal area, or rehabilitation or conservation in an urban renewal area, or any combination or part of them in accordance with an urban renewal plan. These undertakings and activities may include:
(1) acquisition of a slum area or a blighted area or portion of them;
(2) demolition and removal of buildings and improvements;
(3) installation, construction or reconstruction of streets, utilities, parks, playgrounds, and other improvements necessary for carrying out the urban renewal objectives of this appendix in accordance with the urban renewal plan;
(4) disposition of any property acquired in the urban renewal area including sale, initial leasing or retention by the municipality itself, at its fair value for uses in accordance with the urban renewal plan;
(5) carrying out plans for a program of voluntary or compulsory repair and rehabilitation of buildings or other improvements in accordance with the urban renewal plan;
(6) acquisition of any other real property in the urban renewal area where necessary to eliminate unhealthful, unsanitary or unsafe conditions, lessen density, eliminate obsolete or other uses detrimental to the public welfare, or otherwise to remove or prevent the spread of blight or deterioration, or to provide land for needed public facilities; and
(7) the preservation, improvement or embellishment of historic structures or
(f) "Urban Renewal Area" means a slum area or a blighted area or a combination of them which the municipality designates as appropriate for an urban renewal project.
(g) "Urban Renewal Plan" means a plan, as it exists from time to time, for an urban renewal project. The plan shall be sufficiently complete to indicate whatever land acquisition, demolition and removal of structures, redevelopment, improvements, and rehabilitation as may be proposed to be carried out in the urban renewal area, zoning and planning changes, if any, land uses, maximum density and building requirements.
(h) "Bonds" means any bonds (including refunding bonds), notes, interim certificates, certificates of indebtedness, debentures or other obligations.
(i) "Person" means any individual, firm, partnership, corporation, company, association, joint stock association, or body politic. It includes any trustee, receiver, assignee, or other person acting in similar representative capacity.
(j) "Municipality"means theTown ofEaston. (Ch. 29, 1977.)