- School Zone Speed Cameras
School Zone Speed Cameras
In an effort to increase driver compliance with the posted School Zone speed limits throughout Easton, the Town is launching an Automated Speed Enforcement Camera Program.
Similar programs are being utilized in other jurisdictions throughout the State of Maryland and are viewed as an effective means of positively changing driver behavior and improving safety for both pedestrians and motorists. The Transportation Article of the Maryland Annotated Code authorizes municipalities to establish school zones and utilize speed monitoring systems to enforce posted limits. Maryland law further requires that revenue derived from such programs be utilized for public safety programs and improving pedestrian safety.
Our main objective is to protect the children and residents of Easton from drivers who are choosing to disobey the posted speed limit and break the law.
The speed enforcement equipment uses a radar camera programmed to capture a series of photographs of vehicles exceeding the posted limit by 12 mph or more during the hours of 6am-8pm. These digital images will be used to identify the vehicle’s registered owner and will appear on the citation which carries a $40 fine. The vehicle’s recorded speed and the time of the violation will also be noted on the violation, which is being treated as a civil rather than criminal penalty. As a result, no license “points” will be assigned and insurance providers are not notified of the citation.
View the Town of Easton Ordinance 596 (PDF) which establishes school zones and authorizes the use of Speed Monitoring Systems.
- What is Automated Speed Enforcement?
- Why is Easton choosing to utilize this type of technology?
- How will I know if I’m in a speed camera zone?
- What do I do if I receive a citation?
- What are my options?
- Will the operator be present in court?
- What if my vehicle and/or license plates were stolen at the time of the violation?
- What if I was not the operator of the car at the time the violation took place; am I still liable?
- What happens if the Transfer of Liability request is denied?
- What happens if I ignore the violation notice?
- If I pay the fine, can I then contest it or ask for a hearing?
- If I pay the fine, will my insurance rates increase?
- How do I know these violations are valid?
- Isn’t it a violation of my privacy to have a camera photograph my vehicle without my permission?
- When is the Town using Speed Enforcement Cameras?
- Where is the Town using Speed Enforcement Cameras?